The Trustee Directors decided at their May 2009 meeting to report the topics that were discussed at their committee meetings. This is the third such report. Discussion on Society matters is welcomed on the ‘Forum’.
In order of discussion:
1. Update on Knowle Green Community Project – initial planning steps are continuing – no news to report yet.
2. Agreed to continue supporting the Festival in the Park in future years and counted this year’s stand at the Festival to be very successful.
3. Safe Routes to School project update – discussed the form of the letter to be sent to Solihull Council following the recent public meeting. Widespread, but not total, opposition noted. Agreed to make clear the Society’s objections to the present scheme (in all aspects) and the desire to work with the Council in developing a wider area plan for more appropriate and longer cycling routes in recognition of government objectives and the Arden School Travel Plan 2006.
4. Bus Timetable changes – continuing to monitor and to attend consultation meetings. Impending change of bus company ownership noted.
5. Christmas Lights – temporary road closure to be sought for this year’s event – police concern at current risks noted.
6. Airport Noise Action Plan – document and questionnaire discussed – the Society will respond to the questionnaire and continue to strive for reduced overflying, noise levels and night flying. Increased night fying is expected, even though the percentage of night flights will be reduced from 5% to 4%, the runway expansion and thus increased number of flights overall, will cause this to be a larger number of night flights.
7. Rental for appropriate permanent storage of the Society’s growing number of artifacts and display facilities was discussed and it was agreed to explore this further.
8. A legacy of 500 pounds from Barbara Maud Jennens was acknowledged with gratitude. When this is actually received it will be used towards new display cabinets to be purchased for the Local History Centre. An appropriate plaque was proposed.
9. AGM format – it was agreed to return to the ‘traditional’ format of these meetings also with the inclusion of a tea/coffee break.
10. New membership Standing Order forms were considered and will be introduced in the next newsletter.
11. Received report from the Treasurer.
12. Received advice and an update on current Council matters relevant to Knowle from Knowle Councillor Diana Holl-Allen.
13. Updates on two, possibly now three, Marina planning applications. Further discussion was held over on these and the supermarket proposals in the necessary absence of the relevant Trustee Director.
14. Received report from Community Services committee.
15. Received report from Meetings & Social committee – new programme for 2010 finalised. Social evening for 2009 now fully booked.
16. Membership report received, numbers holding up well.
17. Received report from Newsletter and Website editor – Website and emails to be updated to reflect Trustee Directors’s decision to appoint Ian Simmonds as a Trustee Director and Chairman of a re-formed Environment Committee.
18. Discussed implementation of new Standing Orders and a proposed party to thank newsletter distributors and introduce plans for the new Standing Orders.
19. Publicity noted the merger of two local newspapers and the fact that a recent press release on the photo competition had not yet been used. Need to reprint the colour flier because of the change in Membership Secretary following the death of Derek Mellor.